Sunday 1 February 2009

Prohibitorium ad nauseum*

*Poet-in-Residence has posted this literary item on his Bard on the Run blog.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, to be going on with, here's a wonderful poem from Alfred, Lord Tennyson, written at the grand age of 81. It came in a moment, said his Lordship.

Crossing the Bar

Sunset and evening star,
And one clear call for me!
And may there be no moaning of the bar,
When I put out to sea.

But such a tide as moving seems asleep,
Too full for sound and foam,
When that which drew from out the boundless deep
Turns again home.

Twilight and evening bell,
And after that the dark!
And there may be no sadness of farewell,
When I embark;

For tho' from out our bourne of Time and Place
The flood may bear me far,
I hope to see my Pilot face to face
When I have crost the bar.

----
Alfred, Lord Tennyson (1809-1892)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.